Depression is a lowering of mood that is altered in the direction of sadness and can vary greatly in intensity:
- Normal depressive reaction related to certain life events (bereavement, separation, divorce, job loss, bankruptcy…).
- Fickle phenomena, the person still responds to certain pleasures and other stimuli.
- Moral pain that leads to an abrupt change in behaviour, in the way of being, of which those around you become aware.
- The duration of true depression is usually long (> 2 weeks).
- The depressed person does not respond to stimuli and finds little or no pleasure in any activity.
Depression is a real illness that needs attention and proper treatment. There may be biological and hereditary factors in people who suffer from it.