A balanced diet first and foremost has to cover all your energy needs for the day.
A balanced plate should consist of a portion of protein (meat, fish, eggs…) accompanied by vegetables and starchy foods (potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.). The protein portion should be smaller than the accompanying portion. For example:
- ⅓ protein, ⅓ vegetables, ⅓ starch
- ¼ protein, ½ vegetable, ¼ starch
If you want to eat a balanced diet, you can already adopt some simple eating behaviours:
- Eat foods from the different food groups every day
- Eat the right amount for your body type, age and lifestyle
- Limit consumption of sugary, salty and fatty products
The best diets aren’t overly restrictive and don’t rely on a miracle food – they are about balance and quantity.